June 12/13: Paul as an Apostle
Background: Lutheran Study Bible (Introduction to Galatians, paragraph 3)
[Paul] first provides a strong defense of his authority as an apostle sent directly by Jesus Christ and God (1:11-24; see also 1:1). Paul then gives a detailed account of how the leaders in Jerusalem accepted his mission to the non-Jews (Gentiles).
- What was the source of Paul’s knowledge about Jesus Christ?
- Think about the path of the Apostle Paul’s ministry.
- Where did it start?
- What was his first trip away from Damascus?
- At what point did he first go to Jerusalem?
- What regions came next?
- When did he return to Jerusalem?
- How were the ministries of Peter and Paul different?
- Paul made a strong case that the apostles who preceded him had very little influence on him. Why do you think it was important to Paul?